Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training
Regional Economic Investment Pilot- McBride to Barriere Corridor
The McBride to Barriere corridor has been selected as a pilot region for the Province’s Regional Economic Investment Pilot , a key initiative of the BC Jobs Plan. Home to the Secwepemc and Carrier First Nations, spanning the regional districts of Fraser Fort George and Thompson Nicola, the McBride to Barriere corridor includes the communities of Barriere, Clearwater, Valemount, and McBride. The corridor was selected as a pilot region for its strong local leadership and focus on investment attraction. The pilot aims to build off the region’s collaborative approach to economic development and advance key projects in the tourism, energy, and fiber sectors.
For more information:
Images courtesy of Picture B.C.
The McBride to Barriere corridor Regional Economic Development Forum launched the pilot on January 16 2011, by bringing together community and business leaders to identify and prioritize key economic development initiatives in the region. Three themes emerged that captured the broad range of possible projects. The themes are tourism, energy, and fiber.
Building off the momentum of the forum, the Ministry of Jobs Tourism and Skills Training along with local leaders are reviewing the identified projects within these themes. Three to four projects will be selected to advance through the Regional Economic Investment Pilot.
Unable to attend the Forum? Read below for more information.
- Doug Brown, Administrator, Simpcw First Nation, (250) 672-9995
- Silvio Gislemberti, Economic Development Officer, Village of Valemount, (250) 566-4435
- Margaret Graine, Economic Development Officer, Village of McBride, (877) 569-7556
- Leslie Groulx, Chief Administrative Officer & Economic Development, District of Clearwater, (250) 674-2257
- Colleen Hannigan, Chief Administrative Officer, District of Barriere, (250) 672-9751
- Terry McEachen, General Manager of Development Services, Regional District Fraser-Fort George, (250) 960-4450
- Sherri Madden, Services Coordinator, Thompson-Nicola Regional District, (250) 674-3530
- Provincial Lead: Alison Coyne, Economic Development Division, Ministry of Jobs Tourism and Skills Training, (250) 356-0807 email@example.com
- Media: Lara Perozoff, Government Communications and Public Engagement, Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, 250 387-2799
- Website: Darby Cameron, Economic Development Division, Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training, firstname.lastname@example.org